Thursday, November 12, 2009

How To Live

How to live. The main subject of philosophy. Knowing how to live is making right choices.
So how did I choose to live today?

It was very hot. I had decided to catch the bus into town. I walked out of the front door. I walked past the bus stop. I didn't want to catch a bus and use my seniors card. After twenty minutes of hotness I chose to stop being a fool.

I met my mum. We had lunch. She wanted a salad, but I wanted sushi. I went to the sushi bar and stood in the queue. Suddenly the queue melted away and I had to choose quickly. I chose the Mixed Pack, without knowing what it contained.

The concert was the last of the series for the year. It was a competition between 2 clarinets, a french horn and a soprano. We thought the soprano would win. It didn't matter what we thought; we weren't the judges. The first of the 2 clarinets won. She had played Stockhausen.

After the competition it was time for refreshments in the foyer. There were 10 plastic cups with 2 cm of champagne in them, and one that was over half full. I chose that one. There were chicken nuggets, sandwiches and vegetarian fritata on offer as well. I took one nugget, and one fritata.

Then, I chose to have an orange juice, for my second drink.

Now it was shopping time. We went to the Oxfam shop and looked at knicknacks, with an eye to Xmas. I thought of buying, but chose not to buy: a paper bowl, a beaded brooch, a wooden cockerel, a jewelled box and a ceramic frog. I chose to buy a painted leather ring. But not before trying on at least ten different ones and dropping one on the floor.

Next I go to the central market. Now I am with someone else. He has seen some cheap and tasty mulloway. He knows it is tasty because he was offered a sample. We decide to buy a large fillet of mulloway. We choose the fillet we will ask for, then someone whips the tray away, to fill it up. We buy a fillet anyway, but we have no idea which one we've got.

Right. So now I'm going to examine my list of actions.

Okay, I'm thinking.... hmmmm ..... oh dear.... but no, not too bad...... it's not very easy, this.

Voice of God: Give yourself a score out of ten!!

Me: Oh what a good idea, thank you God.

Voice of God: Well then?

Me: What?

God; What's your score?

Me: Eight out of ten.

God: I knew it. But I would be more inclined to give you six.

Me: Lucky you're not in charge!

No comments: