Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Resilience

It's very hot, said Pliny the Elder, fanning himself with a piece of paper.

Yes it is, I agreed. Thirty eight degrees. Thanks to global warming. Would you like an iced coffee?

No thankyou. A glass of water will suffice. And I don't feel very hungry either. What are we having for dinner? Something cold I hope?

Mince, I said. You're welcome to have it cold, but personally I think that would be repulsive.

True, said Pliny. But it would be better than what I had last night.

What was that? I asked.

Nothing, he replied.

Why, aren't you very well? I enquired.

I'm perfectly well, but you were not home at dinner time last night and there was nothing to eat and so I had nothing.

Oh dear, I'm sorry. We went to a lecture in the city. We had nibbles and drinks afterwards.

Oh. Was it nice?

Very nice. Sushi, crumbed prawns, smoked salmon, cheese triangles, spring rolls, wine. And there was such a lot of it. Hardly anybody came, because of the heat. The caterer looked very disappointed. I think he was worried he wouldn't get paid.

What a shame. What was the topic of the lecture?

Resilience. Developing a Resilient Australia in an Age of Uncertainty.

There is a degree of irony in that, said Pliny.

There is, I agreed.

No comments: