Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Where Is It Going ?

That's nice, said Pliny the Elder. Jesus now has a dog for a companion. Although I'm not sure I can suspend my disbelief to encompass its ability to speak.

Me neither, I said. But we must try. What do you think of the name?

Farquhar MacTaggart, said Pliny. A fine name. I believe it's the name of the first Earl of Ross.

Yes, I said. It's the English version of his name, which was Fearchar mac an t-sagairt. He rose from obscurity in the thirteenth century when he cut off the heads of the king's enemies and presented them as gifts to the king, and was then appointed a knight.

A fitting companion for Jesus, said Pliny.

Are you being sarcastic? I asked.

Certainly not, said Pliny. Jesus needs a foil. Perhaps the wisdom of Farquhar will help Jesus to write his article for Velosophy.

This is my story, I said, Not yours. But yes, that may be where it is going.

Well, why aren't you writing it? asked Pliny.

I'm taking a break. I'm going to Canberra until next Monday, I replied.

You didn't tell me, said Pliny. I hope you've left me something to eat.

Two pomegranates, I said. You can eat those.

Thank you, said Pliny. I see I shall be visiting the pie shop.

Bye then, I said.

Enjoy yourself, said Pliny.

No comments: