Thursday, April 21, 2011

Good Friday

You've brought far too much chocolate, said Marie. And I don't see a sleeping bag. What are you going to do if we decide to camp out?

Don't worry about me, said Jesus. I've got this sheet.

And he pulled a grubby white sheet from the bottom of his pack.

That won't keep you very warm, said Marie.

Never mind, said Jesus. Have a chocolate.

No thanks. said Marie. No chocolate till Sunday.

What? said Jesus.

Don't you know the rule? aked Belle et Bonne.

No, this is the first I've heard of it, said Jesus.

I thought you of all people would know that rule, said Belle et Bonne. You surprise me. You don't seem very religious.

Religious! Why should I be religious? scoffed Jesus.

Yes Belle, said Marie. Jesus doesn't need to be religious. And neither are we religious, she added.

Then you ought to have a chocolate, said Jesus.

No thanks, said Marie. There are other reasons not to eat chocolate.

They cycled all afternoon along the coast road beside the wind-tossed sea. They bought pizzas for dinner and ate them under a pine tree.

Let's sleep under this tree tonight, said Belle et Bonne. It doesn't look like it'll rain.

Alright, said Marie, and Jesus agreed.

They lay side by side looking up at the clouds and the stars through the pine branches, Jesus in the middle because he was cold.

Jesus got out his Blackberry. The clouds look like blue white and black chrysanthemums, he said.

Are you tweeting that? asked Belle et Bonne.

Yes, replied Jesus.

It's nice, said Marie. Goodnight.

Goodnight, said Jesus, pulling out another block of chocolate.

To keep me warm, he said.

Sure, said Belle et Bonne. Goodnight Jesus. Sleep well. Good Friday tomorrow.

See if I care, said Jesus.

No comments: