Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Temptation

The science event was over and Baby Pierre was taking Frog home. Ageless accompanied them to the bus stop. Frog looked up at the night sky.

Look, he said faintly, a red star. I shall soon be as tiny as that red star. I feel myself shrinking fast.

That red star up there is the Lobster's Armpit, said Ageless. Humans call it
Betelgeuse.

Ah! said Baby Pierre. That is one of the sights I wanted to see!

Well, there it is, said Ageless. What else did you want to see?

I wanted to see you, said Baby Pierre. I wanted to tell you that I didn't want you to be my daddy.

I am not your daddy, said Ageless.

But you wanted to be my daddy, said Baby Pierre.

No I didn't, I just made that up for Kobo, said Ageless, uncomfortably.

Oh, said Baby Pierre. I also wanted to see the Library. But it was closed.

It will be open again tomorrow, said Ageless. You don't have to go home.

Frog needs to go home, said Baby Pierre. But I'll go to the Library one day.

Meet me there, said Ageless. I'm there every day. Thinking up stories.

For Kobo? Baby Pierre's eyes widened.

Yes, for Kobo, said Ageless.

Why don't you come home with us, Ageless? said Frog. You could talk to her then.

Oh no, I don't think so, said Ageless. No, that wouldn't do.

You wouldn't have to come in, said Baby Pierre. You could just look through the window. At least you could see her.

Alright, said Ageless, I will.

No comments: