Friday, April 1, 2011

Travel Free and Sit Where You Please

Baby Pierre and Frog waited at the bus stop.

A bus came along, and stopped. They clambered on.

You're supposed to hail the bus, said the driver. But I've made an exception in your case, as neither of you have arms.

Thank you driver, said Baby Pierre. I am Baby Pierre and this is Frog.

You don't need to tell me your names, said the driver. Where do you want to go?

To the Library, said Baby Pierre.

Then you're on the right bus, said the driver. And as a baby, you get to travel free.

Wait a minute said Baby Pierre. I am not strictly speaking a baby. I am a small stone. I am young for a stone, I admit, and innocent in the ways of the world, but I daresay I'm at least million years old.

Then you qualify as a senior, said the driver, and you may still travel free.

What a system, said Baby Pierre. Come on Frog.

Wait, said the driver. Is he really a frog?

No, I'm not, said Frog, speaking up for himself. I'm a small green tomato. Do I need to pay?

If you were a frog, said the driver, you would have to travel in the care of an adult and remain at all times enclosed in a box. But as you are a vegetable...

A vegetable! squeaked Frog. I'm a fruit!

A fruit then, said the driver hurriedly. As you are a fruit you may travel free and sit where you please.

Thank you driver, said Frog, as he and Baby Pierre moved to the back of the bus.

Well! said Frog. It is evident that a great deal of discrimination goes on in the wide world. He didn't say you had to be in a box in the care of an adult when he thought you were a baby!

Indeed, said Baby Pierre. That does seem unfair. But as we have both turned out be members of privileged classes, let us be glad.

No comments: