Monday, April 9, 2012

The Wisdom of Frog

You'll be cold, without that sheet, said Belle et Bonne.

No I won't. I'll get between you two, said Sweezus, wriggling in.

Goodnight then, said Marie. And try to keep still.

There was silence, except for the wind and the roar of the sea..

Should I have nicked it? asked Sweezus wistfully.

It was good that you didn't, in a way, replied Belle et Bonne. You showed you had principles.

Like Frog, said Sweezus softly.

Good old Frog, said Marie.

Whenever I'm faced with a moral dilemma, I ask myself what Frog would do, said Sweezus.

I know, so do I, said Belle et Bonne.

She thought for a while.

What would he have done? she asked.

He would never have faced that moral dilemma, said Marie. For one thing, he was a tomato. A plucky tomato, but a tomato nevertheless. And tomatoes don't need covering at night.

Yes, agreed Sweezus, but say he was with me. And I'd asked him what I should do? What do you think he'd have said?

He'd have said everything contains the seeds of its own destruction, said Belle et Bonne. Because when you think about it, that was the only wise thing he ever said. All the rest was doom and gloom about dying.

You've got it wrong, said Marie. He said everything contains the seeds of its own propagation.

You're both wrong, said Sweezus. He said HE contained the seeds of his own propagation.

Oh yes! said Belle et Bonne. That's what he said. Clever Frog. What a shame he got squashed. I wonder if any of his seeds sprouted, or whatever seeds do?

Yeah? said Sweezus. I wonder. Oh well, nighty night.

Good night Sweezie, said Belle et Bonne.

Good night you two, said Marie. Sleep well. It's Professor Freud and Paintball in the morning. 

No comments: