Monday, April 2, 2012

Pythagoras's Fractals

Belle et Bonne arrived at the office early next morning. Marie was already there.

What's wrong? asked Marie.

Everything, said Belle et Bonne. I went to that talk on fractals last night with papa and Uncle David. We were each doing our best to persuade Professor Barnsley to write an article for Velosophy. But it all went horribly wrong.

Tell me about it, said Marie.

We kept losing control of the conversation, said Belle et Bonne. Papa lost it first. Then I did.

You? Marie looked surprised.

I had this brilliant idea, said Belle et Bonne. I thought we could offer self-advertising as a sort of a carrot. But papa said no. So the professor went home.

Never mind, said Marie. What did you learn about fractals?

They're very beautiful, said Belle et Bonne. But they're also geometry. I was cross with myself for not mentioning Pythagoras's Theorem. That's another reason why I'm upset. I started talking to Professor Barnsley about underwear sizes.

Marie smiled sympathetically.

I know what you mean, she said. Underwear sizes! Nothing fits any more.

Yes, but all those little triangles in the proof of Pythagoras's Theorem, said Belle. I think he would have been much more impressed if I'd talked about them. He might have asked me if I knew how to prove the theorem. And I do.

Do you? said Marie. Which proof do you know?

There's more than one? Now Belle was surprised.

There are ninety six, as far as I know, said Marie.

Well that proves something, said Belle et Bonne.

What? asked Marie.

I was on the right track, said Belle et Bonne.

She sighed.

It'll soon be Easter, said Marie, to change the subject. What say we get in touch with Sweezus?

Oh yes! Belle brightened up. Yes let's! He hates Easter.








No comments: