Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Calling From The Monoprix

The Eurostar is empty of passengers. Now the cleaners come on.

There is one unclaimed bicycle in the baggage compartment and a bee-like cycling outfit on one of the seats in car four. It appears to have been held together by toothpicks. But of the owner, there is no trace.

The items are removed from the train and a set of new passengers gets on.

...........

Tick, tock. Three o'clock in Paris.

It is time for Ageless to report to Belle et Bonne, on the whereabouts and safety of Arthur.

But there is no call.

Typical Ageless, thinks Belle et Bonne. I suppose he'll get back to me soon. She decides to go shopping, in Monoprix, for groceries, for one.

.............

David and Vello are now on the train to Edinburgh, seated comfortably at last.

What a kerfuffle! says David. Changing trains is the very devil. Why didn't we fly?

You know very well why, says Vello. You want to traipse out to Chirnside and find Ninewells like the sentimental ninny that you are.

I know, I know, says David. One gets to a certain time of life.....

And? says Vello.

One wishes to revisit the past, says David. Just to see what has changed.

I can tell you what has changed, says Vello. You are no longer that young dreamer, who discovered a new scene of thought, and entered upon a lifetime of philosophical enquiry, you are now just a fat, old bicycling tourist with a  .....

I say, Vello, says David. Are you angry about something?

Not at all, says Vello. Do I seem angry?

Yes, says David. You do. I suspect you are jealous.

Jealous! says Vello. Not I.

Luckily at this moment his phone rings. It is Belle et Bonne, calling from the Monoprix.

Papa! says Belle et Bonne. How are you enjoying the scenery?

Scenery? says Vello. Oh very fine I must say. Fields mainly. Grass. The odd cow. Sky. Clouds.

Papa! says Belle et Bonne. You should pay more attention. I bet you're bickering with David. Do try to be nice. I'm calling because I'm worried about Arthur.

But my dear, Ageless is on the case, isn't he? says Vello. What can possibly happen to Arthur?

The thing is, I think something's happened to Ageless, says Belle et Bonne. Did you happen to see him at all?

See him? Why ever should we? says Vello. We've been on the train. And now were on another one.

Didn't you know? Ageless and Arthur were on the same train. The one you and David were on.

Goodness me! says Vello. Well, we didn't see them. We got off in rather a hurry.

Oh, do take care, papa, says Belle et Bonne. You shouldn't get off in a hurry. Perhaps I should join you in Scotland? Even though I detest it.

No no, dear, says Vello. David and I are old troopers. We will be perfectly .....err.... actually.......yes why don't you come? We can go to some shows in Edinburgh, you and I, while David tootles off in search of temps perdu, no doubt to be disappointed.

He looks at David, to see if he is listening, but David is looking at cows.


No comments: