Saturday, October 5, 2013

How Seductive Is China

It is the following morning. They are all on the plane.

Gaius is sitting next to Margaret, Lavender balanced on his knee.

Lavender is sulking, because Ouvert is included.

Gaius is reading his notes on the Kuanti Formation.

Margaret is dreaming of The Nine Dragon Waterfall, the Colourful Sands Forest and Rapeflowers.

Behind them, Rosamunda and Arthur, with Ouvert clenched in his fist.

Muh-uh-uh-uh, says Ouvert which is all he can manage.

Tell me again why he's here, says Rosamunda.

Ask Gaius, says Arthur.

No, says Rosamunda. He's reading. I wonder how this trip will go. Why are the Chinese so generous? I know Gaius is famous but....

You know what I think? says Arthur.

What? says Rosamunda.

You ask too many questions, says Arthur.

Jealous, says Rosamunda. That's  you.

Arthur takes a book out of his pocket. Opens it. Starts reading.

What's the book? says Rosamunda. Looks like Chinese poetry.

It is, says Arthur. When Lu Lun my cousin comes for the night.....

Read it to me, says Rosamunda.

Arthur reads:

With no other neighbour but the quiet night
Here I live in the same old cottage
And as raindrops brighten yellow leaves
The lamp illumines my white head.

Oo-oh, my white head! Ouvert squeaks.

Shut up, Ouvert, says Arthur. It's not finished.

Out of the world these many years
I am ashamed to receive you here
But you cannot come too often
More than brother, lifelong friend.

Everyone on the plane within earshot who is not Chinese falls into a reverie.

How seductive is China.


No comments: