Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Independent Scientific Scrutiny

It's the next morning. Gaius is expecting Arthur and Rosamunda Secunda any minute now.

They're late. He looks out of the window, at the fence.

Margaret is giving Lavender a lecture.

Of course, says Margaret, the Entelognathus in not a placoderm as we know it. It's a missing link. Entelognathus, or Complete Jaw, shows almost perfect intermediate condition between the placoderm and modern bony fishes........ Pay attention Lavender! Perhaps you'd like to see a diagram?

Yes, says Lavender. Show me a picture.

Margaret gets out her tablet, and calls up a picture of the bony head of Entelognathus. It wears an evil grin.

As you see, says Margaret, his lower jaw is composed of a complex set of bones, unlike other placoderms.... Lavender, what's the matter?

That's HIM! says Lavender. I'd know him ANYWHERE! And I can tell you how he got that broken jaw.

Gaius! says Margaret. Did you hear that? This little monkey will disgrace us if we take her, and no doubt embarrass the Chinese.

Yes, says Gaius, but do you not think, Margaret, that any piece of scientific evidence ought to be subjected to independent scrutiny?

Margaret throws up her hands.

The doorbell rings. Gaius opens the door.

Gaius, says Arthur.

Arthur, says Gaius. And who is this lovely young lady? Could it be...?

Rosamunda Secunda, says Rosie. I've been so excited, knowing I was going to meet you. Ever since I became a natural historian you've been my role model, I.........ouch!

Arthur has stepped on her toe to shut her up.

Margaret is suspicious of this voluble young woman.

Natural historian, says Margaret. Where did you study?

Oh... says Rosamunda.... Edinburgh University. Yes, there. But Gaius has been my mentor. He is so knowledgeable about everything.....

Gaius beams.

Rosamunda thinks: Arthur's right, I am dangerous.

And you speak Mandarin, says Gaius. This has turned out to be extremely convenient.  I do hope you will come with me to Qujing, Rosamunda. And you, Arthur. I can't do without my right hand man. Do you still have that scraper?

No, says Arthur, but I can get one.

What about me? says Margaret. Gaius, the Chinese will only pay for two companions. And you have invited three.

Four, says Lavender.

I thought you had agreed to drop out, Margaret, says Gaius.

I am the only one who speaks proper Chinese, says Margaret.

Zheiwei xiansheng hui qingdan maidan, says Rosie.

Margaret is shocked.


No comments: