Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Five Chi Road

Sweezus is in the Velosophy office when Arthur arrives.

Arthur! says Sweezus.

Yes, me, says Arthur.

Me too, man, says Sweezus. Let me look at you. Hey. Big Ups to the shorts!

Artrhur grins. Fans out the legs of his shorts with both hands in his pockets.

We should go surfing, says Sweezus.

I'm going to China, says Arthur.

He still has his hands in his pockets. What's that down there? It's the shoe horn. It reminds him.....

Got a scraper? says Arthur.

A scraper? says Sweezus. This is an office, man. But yeah, I'll look in the drawer.

He looks in the drawer. Nup, says Sweezus. No scraper, but what about this?

He holds up a silver cake server, which Belle et Bonne uses for cakes.

Swap? says Arthur pulling out the shoe horn.

Sweezus looks doubtful.

A cake server would make a good scraper, but a shoe horn's no good to serve cakes.

Yet it's hard to deny Arthur anything. Look at him standing there. In those radical shorts.

Alright, says Sweezus. Done deal. Who says you don't live a charmed life?

Any cake left? enquires Arthur.

No, says Sweezus.

I don't live a charmed life then, says Arthur.

Yeah, but you're lucky, says Sweezus. You're going to China. I looked up where you're going. It's cool. The Pearl River, The Five Chi Road, The Nine Dragon Waterfall...... Awesome.

Why don't you come?, says Arthur.

Someone's got to stay here and work, says Sweezus. And it seems I'm the muggins. By the way, I called Gaius to give him a news flash, and he gave me a flea in my ear.

What was it? says Arthur. Something to do with the Twitcher?

Just tell him, says Sweezus, that work is ongoing as to the taxonomic status of the Sepia Apama. See what he says about that!

Alright, says Arthur. But I'll wait till we get to China. Or he might not go. I'd better head off now. Thanks for the....uh!

The door has just opened, and in has come Belle et Bonne with a glorious Black Forest Cheesecake.

All she needs is some people to eat it, a knife and a cake server...

Proving Arthur does live a charmed life.


No comments: