Thursday, October 24, 2013

Mixing Memory And Desire

Entelognathus fixes Lavender with a stony faced glare and flexes his composite jaw.

See that, Lavender? says Ouvert.

Like I'm scared, says Lavender. Nothing will happen.

Crick!

The composite jaw opens a fraction. A four hundred million year old word tumbles out.

R-O-O-O-O-L!

Rool, says Ouvert. What does that mean?

Roll? says Lavender.

Why would rool mean roll? says Ouvert.  He can't think of a reason.

I think he means roll, says Lavender. He wants us to roll him.

The Entelognathus can't believe it. She can't be serious. That little nobody! As if she hasn't rolled him already.

ROOOOOOOOL! roars the Entelognathus.

There is an almighty crack, and the door of the lecture room opens.

In comes Gaius with the doctors and professors, refreshed after their morning tea.

They have been debating the significance of Lavender's story.

Not everyone is convinced it is true.

Oh my, says Professor Mee-mann Chang. We shouldn't have left them alone here. That was very remiss.
Now look what's happened.

The Entelognathus is on the floor of the lecture theatre in pieces.

His short ROOOOL is over.


..............

Arthur, Sikong Shu and Not-Richie Porte are riding along in the bike lane.

The Bird's Nest, says Arthur. The Tour of Beijing finished there. Remember?

Not-Richie shakes his head.

When you see it, says Sikong Shu, you'll remember.

The Bird's Nest comes into view. They ride on to the Olympic Plaza and look up at the Bird's Nest.

Wow, says Not-Richie. It looks like a Bird's Nest.

It does too, says Arthur.

You idiots, says Sikong Shu. It's an architectural wonder. The random-looking steel bird's nest outside hides the steel supports that held up the retractable roof that they later abandoned.

Why? says Arthur.

In case it fell in on the people, says Sikong Shu.

Not-Richie is looking depressed.

I don't think I've seen it before, says Not-Richie.

You have, says Arthur. You were the team leader.

How did I do? says Not-Richie.

We don't know, says Arthur. We've been in Qujing.

They get off their bicycles and sit down on the Plaza.

What's to be done?

We will find out the truth, says Sikong Shu. If I hear the truth in the morning, I am content to die in the evening. Confucius.

That's how I feel, says Not-Richie.

Confucius, says Arthur.

I know, says Not-Richie.

No you don't, says Arthur. But I have an idea.

He gets out his phone.

Damn. Flat battery.

What were you going to do? says Sikong Shu. I have a phone.

Call Sweezus, says Arthur. He knows Richie.

But I don't know him, says Not-Richie.

No, says Sikong Shu. I have a better idea. We'll ride to Mentougou. That's where you finished Stage Four. It's certain to jog your memory.

Yes, that's what we'll do.


No comments: