Monday, October 7, 2013

Pay Attention To The Woes Of The People

It's late in the evening. They are all on the train to Qujing.

Rosamunda stares out of the window.

What's out there? she asks Sikong Shu.

Sikong Shu pays no attention, being deep in conversation with Arthur.

The Pearl River, says Margaret. Terraced hillsides. Rice fields. Store houses. Farms.

I didn't ask you, says Rosamunda. Anyway how do you know?

Research, says Margaret. What you should have done.

Rosamunda decides to move seats. She sits down next to Gaius, who is shuffling his notes, with Lavender still perched on his knee.

Don't you wonder what's out there? says Rosamunda.

Yes, I do, says Gaius. What a pity it's dark. Shall we ask Sikong Shu what we're missing?

Actually, says Rosamunda, I know. It's the Pearl River, and on the far bank there are terraced hillsides, rice fields, store houses and farms.

How picturesque and delightful, says Gaius. What an asset you are, Rosamunda. If only Margaret could be relied upon to do as much research...

Rosamunda smiles, pats his leg.

Gaius is not used to such intimacy. He stiffens. Lavender falls off his knee.

Ow! I knew that would happen, says Lavender. Someone pick me up!

Rosamunda picks her up. Walks across to where the two poets are sitting.

Sikong Shu: I pay little attention to the woes of the people. I prefer beautiful landscapes, and the joys of deep friendship.

Arthur: And you're obsessed with white hair for some reason.

Sikong Shu: White hair is a signifier of wisdom and regret. I admire your hair. A young man's hair. Springy.

He touches Arthur's hair gently. It springs back.

Ouvert: What's a signifier?......Oooof! Arthur get off!

Rosamunda: Arthur, are you sitting on Ouvert?

Arthur: Yes. I am. Poetry requires suffering and pain.

Sikong Shu: That's how you work?

Arthur: Yes, sometimes.

Sikong Shu: I feel I must warn you of something.

Arthur: What is it?

But before he can issue the warning, the train pulls in to Qujing.



No comments: