Thursday, October 10, 2013

Who Can Fathom The Depths Of Their Hearts?

Doctor Zhu Min thinks he knows how to deal with fossils.

You don't need to talk to me now, he tells Lavender. Let me show you the colourful sand sculptures.

He carries Lavender around in his hand, from sculpture to sculpture. Giant heads rising out of the landscape, with black beards, exotic hats. Reclining lovers, a snake.

What do you think? says Doctor Zhu Min.

I feel sorry for them, says Lavender.

Sorry? says Doctor Zhu Min. Because they're a tourist attraction?

No, says Lavender. It's more existential than that. I feel sorry for them because they've  been sculpted. I would hate to be sculpted.

Pardon? says Doctor Zhu Min.

Look at me, says Lavender. I'm a space.

You mean.... says Doctor Zhu Min.

Yes, says Lavender. You are wasting your time with Ouvert. He's just a pebble.

Ah, says Doctor Zhu Min. I understand. You are more spiritual.

Am I? says Lavender.

Certainly, says Doctor Zhu Min. And I should like to discuss these things with you further. Will you come back with me to Beijing?

If it's just me, says Lavender.

It is, says Doctor Zhu Min.

And Arthur, says Lavender quickly.

Yes, and Arthur, says Doctor Zhu Min.

............

Arthur is still in the forest with Sikong Shu. They have looked at the  Prospering Mushroom.

They have eaten all of the snacks.

Now they are playfully fighting with kebab sticks.

Soon they will snap the kebab sticks and go looking look for sticks that are longer and sharper.

The fight will turn deadly.

When they return to the others, Arthur's knees will be bleeding, and Sikong Shu will be scratched on the elbows.

Poets! Who can fathom the depths of their hearts?


No comments: