Sunday, January 10, 2016

Darwin's Tortoise

It's slow going, riding to the airport, along the Bicentennial Bikeway.

Terence has to keep stopping his scooter to wait for baby B-B.

Now what's the problem? asks Gaius.

Nothing, says Terence. He's just a bit slow.

Baby B-B flies up and lands on the handlebars of Terence's scooter.

Huuuh! sighs baby B-B.

It's easy to see he is sad.

We'll fix your hoverboard as soon as we get back to Adelaide, says Gaius. We haven't time now.

I might FLY back to Adelaide, says baby B-B. I could easily do it.

You couldn't, says Terence. Don't try.

You won't let me do ANYTHING, says baby B-B, eyeing the scooter.

It's MY scooter, says Terence. And you don't have long enough legs.

Baby B-B hops up onto a railing. He sees a signpost. This way to the City Botanic Gardens.

If he was with Mango, Mango would say: You deserve a reward baby B-B. I'll take you there.

I deserve a reward, says baby B-B.

What for? asks Terence.

The burning, says baby B-B. Losing my hoverboard. And my feathers.

Yes, says Terence. We deserve a reward. What is it?

Going to the City Botanic Gardens, says baby B-B.

I'd like to go there as well, says Dries. I enjoy visiting Botanical Gardens.

So do I, says Gaius. And these ones in particular. I once knew the curator, Walter Hill. And the famous Darwinian tortoise they kept there. She was reputedly collected by Darwin himself, in 1835.

Who? says Terence.

Harriet, says Gaius. But she won't be there now.

Nevertheless, they take the path that leads to the Botanical Gardens.

Soon they are there.

Baby B-B still isn't happy.

The reward wasn't supposed to be for everyone.

He flutters ahead of the others, over cycads, palms, figs, bamboos, mangoes, pawpaws, gingers and tamarinds, and suddenly........spots a tortoise.

He lands on her back.

Get OFF, says the tortoise.

I'm just hovering, says baby B-B.

As if, says the tortoise. But.......would you like to share my afternoon snack?

What is it? asks baby B-B.

Something special, says the tortoise. Usually I eat leaves and grass, but today look, I've got Mango....

Baby B-B looks at the dish, heaped with golden chunks of succulent Mango.

Mango! No way! He can't eat THAT!

No comments: