Sunday, January 31, 2016

Spookys And Raspberry Lessons

Right, says Gaius. Now for the Emu Bay Shale. I assume everyone's coming?

I am, says Terence.

Good, says Sweezus. We're going surfing, me and Arthur.

Oh. Will you be long? asks Gaius.

Couple of days, says Sweezus. Hanson Bay's on the other side of the island.

Hanson's? says Louisa. You're brave.

You know it? asks Arthur.

You bet I do, says Louisa. The Hanson Bay spookys.

Spookys! says Terence. Can I come?

If you want to drown, says Sweezus.

First I want to learn the trumpet, says Terence.

I'll teach you, says Louisa. Give me back my trumpet.

Why? says Terence, attempting a last fruitless blow.

Because says Louisa, you do lessons one and two without the trumpet.

How interesting, says Gaius. What are the lessons? No, never mind. I won't be distracted. Shu, I'll need you to come with me, seeing Arthur is busy.

I'd prefer to go surfing with Arthur, says Ssü-K'ung Shu.

Well you might, says Gaius. But I must have a right hand man, preferably one with initiative.

I have little initiative, says Ssü-K'ung Shu. I'm a poet.

Louisa looks at him shrewdly.

I knew you weren't David Suzuki, says Louisa. And I wasted all last night practising.

The kangaroo music, says Terence. I want my lesson!

Okay, say the letter M, says Louisa, and stop at the 'mmm' part. Keep your lips in that position.

Terence says: Emmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Before you go, Arthur, says Gaius. The Swiss Army knife would be handy.

Arthur reaches into his pocket.

Arthur will need it more than you will, says Louisa. Believe me.

Gaius resigns himself to the fact.

At least let me sharpen my pencils, says Gaius.

Now what? says Terence.

You stopped, says Louisa. Start 'mmm'ing again. Keep your lips in that position and blow a buzzing sound.

Terence can't figure out how to make a buzzing sound while he's 'mmm' ing.

Trumpet playing is hard.

Okay, lesson two, says Louisa. Pretend there's a small piece of paper on the tip of your tongue. Stick your tongue out. Just a little bit. Spit the paper away. Your lips should catch each other and make a buzzing sound.

It's far too tempting not to try it.

Sweezus, Arthur, Shu and Gaius perform promising raspberries.

Phrrrrrrrrrrt! etc.

Terence is the only one who can't do it.


No comments: