Saturday, January 30, 2016

Kangaroo Music

Gaius, Arthur and Sweezus are sitting on the balcony of the best Seafront room in the Penneshaw Hotel, overlooking Backstairs Passage.

They are eating a complementary breakfast and watching out for the ferry.

This is pleasant, says Gaius. But while I appreciate the generosity of the Kangaroo Island community.....

I know, says Arthur. You feel uncomfortable.

I do, says Gaius. I much prefer camping.

Here comes the ferry, says Sweezus.

They finish their breakfast and go down to meet the ferry.

.......

On the ferry:

Terence: Look! Look! We're landing!

Ssü-K'ung Shu: What a large crowd of people!

Terence: I can see Sweezus!

Ssü-K'ung Shu: There's Arthur!

Terence: There's a band playing kangaroo music!

......

The passengers pour off the ferry, to the sound of jerky music.

The sort of music that shouldn't be played on a trumpet.

One or two of the passengers think they recognise the tune. I'm Turning Japanese. Remember that? From the eighties? It was a good one.

But Mayor Clements is sorry he allowed it.

He keeps an eye on the gangplank for David Suzuki. He should know what he looks like.

Arthur moves forward to greet an older man, and an infant.

The older man hugs Arthur.

The infant rushes to wrap his stiff little arms around Sweezus's knees.

Gaius makes his way over to where Mayor Clements is standing.

Mayor Clements, begins Gaius, I must thank you for your kindness.

The pencil sharpener? says Mayor Clements. Don't mention it.

And the room, says Gaius. Quite luxurious. In fact, unnecessarily so.

Don't mention that either, says Mayor Clements.

And the musical welcomes, says Gaius. On consecutive days. Extraordinary!

I agree with you there, says Mayor Clements. I do hope your colleague won't find it offensive.

Gaius has no suspicion that the music might be offensive.

Not at all, says Gaius. There he is. He does not look offended.

Ssü-K'ung Shu looks anything but offended, now that he is reunited with Arthur.

Is that him? asks Mayor Clements. He looks different in his photos.

No, no, says Gaius. He looks the same. Shall I introduce you?

Please, says Mayor Clements.

Gaius leads him over.

This is... begins Gaius.

Shu, says Arthur quickly. This is the mayor of Kangaroo Island, Mayor Clements.

I'm honoured,  says Ssü-K'ung Shu.

I too am honoured, Mr Suzuki, says Mayor Clements.

Please call me Shu, says Ssü-K'ung Shu. Many people get my name wrong.

( They do. But the mayor takes the cake with Ssü-Z'u Kee ).

Well, now that you're here Mr Shu, we hope you will enjoy our hospitality. Along with Gaius of course. And perhaps you'll honour us with a talk at the end of your stay, says Mayor Clements.

Certainly, says Ssü-K'iung Shu. I should be happy to.

The band has finally stopped playing I'm Turning Japanese. Louisa comes over.

Hello, Mr Shu, says Louisa. Welcome to Kangaroo Island. I'm Louisa.

Pleased to meet you, Louisa, says Shu.

Well done, Louisa, says Mayor Clements. A difficult choice of music.

I LOVE kangaroo music, says Terence. Can I blow your trumpet?

Sure, says Louisa. She gives Terence the trumpet.

How cute he looks, holding a trumpet.

But when he blows, nothing happens.

No comments: