Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Ferry To Suicide Bay

On the Sealink ferry to Kangaroo Island.

Gaius is trying to prise the lid off his tin.

Sweezus and Arthur are leaning on a railing, talking into the wind.

How come Gaius owes you three hundred? asks Sweezus.

For the tickets, says Arthur. You, me, him.

You paid? says Sweezus.

Um, not exactly, says Arthur. We got free tickets. They think we're ecologists.

We kind of are, says Sweezus.

Famous ecologists, says Arthur.

Go on, says Sweezus. Which ones?

David Suzuki and Jacques Cousteau, says Arthur. I never thought they'd believe it.

Which one's me? asks Sweezus. No don't tell me. Suzuki? Shit. Do I look Chinese?

He's not Chinese, says Arthur. He's Japanese Canadian. And you look Canadian. I'm French, so I have to be Jacques Cousteau.

You're a DEAD guy! says Sweezus. Man, if Jacques Cousteau was alive he'd be over a hundred!

Merde! says Arthur. What if I can't pull it off?

Sweezus appraises the seventeen year old Arthur.

Hm.

But who's to know, anyway? says Arthur. We'll be off surfing at Suicide Bay.

Yeah, says Sweezus. That's a fact. And look on the bright side.

What? says Arthur .

We've got money, says Sweezus.

Theoretically, says Arthur. Gaius hasn't........

At this point Gaius appears behind them, with the cake tin.

Could you get this tin open for me, Arthur? I need a pencil. Thoughts are escaping me.

Arthur whacks the tin hard on the railing.

The lid comes off all too easily. The pencils spill onto the deck. One rolls into the churning blue waters of Investigator Strait.

Sorry, says Arthur.

Not at all, says Gaius. I still have five. That's two more than I started off with.

Sweezus looks at the five remaining HB pencils

You need a sharpener, says Sweezus.

Arthur will find one, when we dock, says Gaius with confidence.

The Sealink ferry docks at the Penneshaw terminal.

Time to disembark.

There seems to be a crowd on the jetty.

Waving cameras, holding up welcome signs..

A person dressed in mayoral robes stands at the end of the gangway.

Who are they waiting for?


No comments: