Saturday, January 9, 2016

Parting Of True Minds

I should be going, says Dr Yakir. More shrimps to order.

Yes, sorry about that, says Gaius. I feel somewhat responsible. We should be going as well.

Where are you staying? asks Dr Yakir.

Nowhere as yet, says Gaius. We must find a hotel.

You will find Brisbane a friendly city, says Dr Yakir.

I'm sure we will, says Gaius.

How long are you here for? asks Dr Yakir.

Not long. The Tour Down Under starts soon. In fact, I must check the dates, says Gaius.

Are you keen on cycling? asks Dr Yakir.

I should say so, says Gaius. Perhaps you've heard of Team Philosophe?

I certainly have, says Dr Yakir. They were a great team, back in the day.

Back in the day? says Gaius. They still are. And I am a highly valued member.

I should have realised, says Dr Yakir. And you Dries, are you a team member?

Not his team, says Dries. I'm in Team Condor.

Wow! says Dr Yakir. Not on that bike I hope?

Yes, on this bike. It belonged to Schopenhauer. I will admit, it's been hard to master.

Ha ha, laughs Dr Yakir. I can see how it would be.

Terence scoots up on his scooter.

Baby B-B's on fire!

Dear me, says Gaius. I knew those hoverboards could be dangerous!

........

Several days later.

Gaius: Thank you for having us, Yakir. Now we really must go.

Dr Yakir: Yes, baby B-B is growing new feathers and he's okay to travel. It's been a privilege to spend time with you, Gaius.

Gaius: Ditto I'm sure. I have learned a great deal from you about the elaborate visual system of mantis shrimp eyes. Imagine! Sixteen types of colour receptive cones. And we humans only have three. It does make you wonder.

Dr Yakir: Indeed. I love to mix physics with biology to answer questions about how optics affect the ecology of animals.

Dries: I've learned a lot too. I never knew Fiddler Crabs wore built-in sunglasses. It totally changes my ideas about seafood.

Gaius: Say goodbye, Terence.

Terence: Goodbye. And thanks for fixing my parrot.

Dr Yakir: He isn't a parrot.

Terence: Paraclete, then.

Dr Yakir: Good heavens! What a big word.

Baby B-B: No need to be patronising.

And on that note, the travellers head off to the airport.

No comments: