Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Clash Of The Titan Philosophers

Nietzsche doesn't seem all that interested in Lauren's fluke chart.

To him all the flukes look the same.

No, no, says Lauren, see this one. This is the Southern Right whale's fluke. It's different from that of the Humpback. The Humpback's fluke goes down more in the middle. And it's white with dark patches. Whereas.....

But Nietzsche is gazing out to sea.

He can see Sweezus sitting out there beyond the breakers, alongside Surfing-With-Whales.

Surfing-With-Whales is pointing towards the horizon.

Lauren tries again, to get Nietzsche's attention.

So, tell me about yourself, says Lauren. Sweezus said you were a philosopher?

Yes, says Nietzsche. That is my calling.

How INTERESTING, says Lauren. And what philosophies have you come up with?

What a question! Nietzsche attempts to put his ideas in a nutshell.

Basically, says Nietzsche, taking a chip from Lauren's packet, it's a matter of self realisation, hindered by the idea of eternal recurrence, and then I rashly claimed God was dead, which some people took the wrong way, but I do believe Christianity is a hypocritical creed encouraging a slave mentality, and on the positive side I think all human action is an expression of the will to power. Yes, and I firmly believe one should never drink alcohol.

My, says Lauren. That's a lot to think about. Have another chip. I can't eat this many. I agree with you about alcohol. Perhaps you could talk to my son. He's okay during the week but on the weekend.....!

No, I won't interfere, says Nietzsche. I'm here as a guest. I'm supposed to be resting, and calming myself with whale watching. However it all seems rather pointless ......

You know what you need? says Lauren.

No, I don't, admits Nietzsche.

Reiki, says Lauren. It works wonders. I happen to be a Level Two practitioner. Would you like me to give you a treatment? Don't worry, I don't need to touch you. Level Twos can do distance Reiki.

No thank you, says Nietzsche. But thanks for the offer.

He stares out to sea.

Surfing-With-Whales is paddling out towards the horizon. Sweezus is coming in on a wave.

We Reiki practitioners have our own philosophy, says Lauren. Shall I list the Five Principles?

Go ahead, says Nietzsche.

Just for today, I will not worry ( says Lauren)
Just for today, I will not be angry
Just for today, I will be grateful
Just for today, I will do my work honestly
Just for today, I will be kind to every living creature.

Nietzsche is about to deconstruct each of these irritating Principles when Sweezus races up the ramp saying: We've lost the Catcher!

I knew it! croaks Ageless, triumphant.

Who's the Catcher? asks Lauren, grabbing the binoculars from Ageless, and knocking him sideways.

No comments: