Thursday, April 14, 2016

Self-Overcoming

Gaius enters the kitchen, to find Kobo clam in the clutches of the Catcher, and Ageless demanding:

Release my beloved!

Then the plaintive voice of Kobo:

Ageless, he saved me from YOU!

I did not kick you, my beloved, says Ageless. I hope you don't think so.

You knocked me, says Kobo. It's the same in the end. I fell, and your friend the Catcher has caught me. Mmm. I now love the Catcher.

Wo! cries Ageless. You can't possibly love old Portunus. I shall kill myself.

Gaius feels the need for some sort of intervention.

The Catcher is going to Goolwa, says Gaius. To spot whales with Nietzsche and Sweezus. I believe he is leaving immediately.

( That's the best way to deal with a love triangle, he always finds ).

Humm, says Kobo. Please return me to the sill. I was reading a novel.

Gaius returns her to the sill.

Stupid novel, says Ageless. That was why I kicked her, she wouldn't respond.

What is the novel? asks Gaius, interested that there should be such an engrossing novel.

How should I know, says Ageless.

Mmmmmurakami! says Kobo, before settling back down to read.

Gaius goes back outside with Ageless and the Catcher.

Nietzsche is standing beside the Platonic Ideal.

So what are you saying? asks Sweezus.

I believe in self-overcoming, says Nietzsche. Not in minimising desire in order to achieve tranquility. I have no idea why I said it.

It's the same thing, says Sweezus.

No it isn't, says Nietzsche. Not the way I mean it. I'm talking about the will to power. Overcoming stupid moral precepts. Becoming who we really are.

Yes, I was meaning to warn you, says Gaius. That bicycle has unaccountable powers. Anyone who rides it begins to spout Schopenhauerian nonsense.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was nonsense, says Nietzsche.

Then you shouldn't have any trouble, says Gaius. I had no end of it.

Just so long as I know, says Nietzsche. Well, shall we be going?

Yeah, says Sweezus. It'll take us a couple of hours. Maybe three. We'll go via Meadows.

How delightful, says Gaius. I almost wish I was going with you. I hope you see one or two whales.

Should do, says Sweezus. We're gonna hook up with Surfing-With-Whales. Get right out there with 'em.

Nietzsche looks alarmed. This is the first he has heard of that sort of activity.

Very good, says Nietszche, overcoming himself with an effort.

And I assume you are taking the Catcher, says Gaius. Let me know how he goes. I might have a use for him later.

Yeah, okay, says Sweezus. Come on, Catcher.

He lifts up the Catcher.

And me, says Ageless. I've decided to .... click click.... join the party.

He shoots a dagger-like look at the Catcher, who once was his buddy, now is his rival, and tragically therefore

must die.

No comments: