Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Recognition Recognition

Sweezus and Nietzsche head off down the stairs with the Catcher.

On the way down they pass Katherine.

Hello, Sweezus, says Katherine. OH! Friedrich Nietzsche!

Madam, says Nietzsche, bowing to her on the staircase.

Katherine ignores him. She continues on up the stairs.

What's Sweezus doing with that dreadful chap Nietzsche? says Katherine.

Why, mother, what's wrong with Nietzsche? asks David.

I blame him entirely for the Holocaust, says Katherine. All that will power and superiority.....

In fairness, says Vello, that was his sister Elisabeth. She altered his notes.

That's right, blame a woman, says Katherine. Where are they going?

Off to see Gaius, says David. To borrow a bike. Did you see that large crab they had with them?

Crab? says Katherine. Is that what it was?

Apparently not, replies David.

You philosophers! says Katherine. Nothing is ever straightforward. Is the kettle on?

.......

Sweezus knocks on Gaius's front door.

Hello! says Gaius. You're just the man, since I can't locate Arthur. I'm off to hunt frogs. Have you heard of the Baw Baw? Nearly extinct, tragically.

Slow down, man, says Sweezus. I'm kind of working. I've only  dropped by to borrow an extra bike. This is Friedrich Nietzsche. We're going whale-watching over at Goolwa.

Friedrich Nietzsche! cries Gaius. Naturally I've heard of you! How strange, I have the perfect bike....

Very good, says Nietzsche. I'm looking forward to learning to ride it. I used to ride horses. I was a fine rider, until I had that accident with a pommel.

A pommel, says Gaius. You don't say! Well, the Platonic Ideal has no pommel.

It used to belong to Schopenhauer, says Sweezus. It's heaps cool. Ass Saver mudguards, Knog lights and a San Marco saddle.

Schopenhauer! says Nietzsche. Excellent! The only philosopher I have any respect for.

Do come in, says Gaius. I'll put the kettle on.

They go inside.

It is only now that Gaius spots the Catcher, emerging from Sweezus's pocket.

Portunus pelagicus!  cries Gaius. Or should I say, Portunus armatus?

Neither, says the Catcher. I now identify simply as a Catcher.

Do you catch frogs?.....begins Gaius.

But suddenly he is interrupted.

Ageless lobster, who has been visiting Kobo in the kitchen, has heard the familiar voice of his friend.

Portunus! cries Ageless. My old buddy!

For the Catcher, this is slightly embarrassing.


No comments: