Saturday, April 9, 2016

The Will To Power

Next morning, in the Velosophy office:

Vello is watching the clock.

His guest is looking nervous, and tweaking his bushy moustache.

Footsteps are heard on the stairs. The door opens.

Sweezus enters, looking apologetic for two reasons.

1. He is late for work.

2. He is leading the Catcher, on a short string.

Ah! At last! says Vello. Sweezus, this is Friedrich Nietzsche.

Luckily, Sweezus is expecting Friedrich Nietzsche. Belle was right. Superman. Ubermensch. The Will to Power. All that stuff.

Pleased to meet you, says Sweezus.

And this is Sweezus, says Vello. Our up and coming young journalist. But I don't know who this is.

Vello looks enquiringly at the Catcher.

Yeah, sorry about this, says Sweezus. It's a Rock Parrot Catcher. I ended up with him this morning because yeah... it's a long story.

Do tell, says Friedrich Nietzsche. I an interested in transformations.

This is promising.

It's a Blue Swimmer crab, says Vello. Probably illegally removed from Saint Kilda.

No way! says Sweezus. We wouldn't do that.

Correct, says the Catcher. And in any case, I would have refused, had I not experienced an epiphany.

Refused to be removed? says Vello. That's interesting, coming from a creature that's being led around on a string.

I am more interested in the epiphany, says Friedrich Nietzsche.

The Catcher is only too willing to tell his story.

I was a Blue Swimmer, says the Catcher, but I was captured by Arthur and Shu, after a violent tussle.

I might have known, says Vello.

And they brought me to the Others, says the Catcher. And one of the Others took me for a Rock Parrot Catcher.

But you were not, at that stage, a real Rock Parrot Catcher, says Nietzsche.

( Nietzsche is perceptive)

No, says the Catcher. But I sensed a glimmer.

Go on, go on, says Nietzsche.

This Other, a young one named Terence....

Why am I not surprised? murmurs Vello.

Terence, continues the Catcher, took me to search for Rock Parrots and we found one.

And what happened? asks Nietzsche.

I ATE it, says the Catcher.

Bravo! says Nietzsche.

I used to eat molluscs and worms, says the Catcher. It irks me to think of it now.

Yes yes! cries Nietzsche,

He is getting a tad too excited. His moustache works alarmingly. He leaps up from his chair.

Now then, says Vello. I suggest you two, that is you two HUMANS, go and get better acquainted over a coffee somewhere. Sweezus, you may want to leave the crab here.

Sweezus is only too glad to.

He and Nietzsche go off down the stairs.

Cool moustache, says Sweezus.

Thank you, says Nietzsche. I'm quite proud of it. But the women don't like it......

The Catcher looks around the Velosophy office.

Is there anything to eat? asks the Catcher.

Vello eyes the Catcher.

Yes, I think I can rustle up something, says Vello.


No comments: