Thursday, February 16, 2017

I Feared Death A Little

Press on, Ageless, says Kobo. Where did you sleep that night?

On a pile of compost, recently vacated by a dead parrot, says Ageless.

Was it smelly? asks Lavender.

Of course it was smelly, says Ageless, but the pool was out of the question, due to the chlorine.

Were you scared? asks Lavender. Were there possums?

I was afraid, but not of possums, says Ageless. I feared death, a little.

Death, a little, says Kobo. In that you are like Roger Casement.

Damn! She is back to thinking about that annoying Roger Casement.

How wonderful, says Ageless, to be compared to such a hero. Is he hanged yet?

He is turning Catholic, says Kobo. He is making a confession. He is seeing in his mind's eye the face of his mother. He is having a shower, and putting on the clothes that have been washed and pressed for him, including high shoes. What do you suppose high shoes are?

I don't know, my lovely, says Ageless. Was he a short man?

No, he was tall, says Kobo. Now he is being blindfolded and led to the scaffold. The hangman respects him, because he is brave. The hangman's name is John Ellis. John Ellis tells Roger to hold his breath, so that it will be quicker.

What a sage piece of advice, says Ageless. I shall keep it in mind, when my time comes.

O yes, says Kobo. The moulting. Would you like to come up to the sink? I could run some water.

Cruel Kobo! As if he would choose to moult directly below her.

No, I have a few hours yet, says Ageless. I should like to continue my confession...I mean story.

Go on, dear, says Kobo.

Heartened, Ageless continues.

The next day was Butterfly's birthday and her daddy was coming home from Denmark first thing in the morning.

Did she get presents? asks Lavender.

Yes, says Ageless. The Walk and Poo Barbie, Horrible Eyeballs, a Lego Friends Air Balloon, a silver necklace and a dress, lacy and creamy. You would like it, my angel.

I would NOT, says Kobo.

You would look nice in it, says Ageless.

Don't push it, says Kobo.

Then what happened? asks Lavender.

General happiness, says Ageless. Then we drove down to play Unreal Minigolf in Penrith.

Can I go? asks Lavender

You can't play Minigolf, says Ageless. No arms. And you would have been frightened.

I'm never frightened says Lavender. Why would I?

The course is in a dark warehouse, says Ageless. Through a jungle with wild animals, past Egyptian mummies, a Mad Lab with toxic ooze and smoke, and a haunted cemetery. And the holes into which you must drive your golf ball are not easy to access. A second family constantly loomed up behind us.

I would love ALL of it, says Lavender. Except for the golf ball.

No comments: