Friday, February 24, 2017

Stuff Of Dreams

That night, Gaius dreams of the Reverend Griffith Hughes.

The Reverend Griffith Hughes is in a vast library, speaking to an ancient librarian.

His lips are yellow.

He speaks: Arr, what no one?

The ancient librarian's lips are pale blue.

In reply to the question, he answers:

Not no one. There has been a recent enquiry.

Of what name?

Gaius Plinius Secundus. He wished to ask about the Barbados racer.

I did not write about the Barbados racer. He wants Ligon's book.

No he specifically asked for you, Reverend Griffiths.

Then I must get in touch. Did he leave an address? A phone number?

No. He didn't. But he may be found. Gaius is famous.

Unlike me, sighs the Reverend Griffiths Hughes,

He closes his eyes and starts moaning...

Gaius wakes. The moaning is coming from the bathroom.

He gets up and goes to the bathroom.

Ageless is stirring.

Too much ....mutters Ageless.

Why are you moaning? asks Gaius. You may have affected my dream.

Too much SALT, says Ageless.

Let me determine, says Gaius, sticking his finger in the bathwater and licking.

Ach!

See, says Ageless. I am shrivelling up here.

Gaius turns on the tap.

What's that humming? asks Ageless. Is it my beloved?

Gaius listens. In the sun, I will come.....Yes it is Kobo.

Tell her... croaks Ageless. I was dreaming.....

So was I, says Gaius.

I was dreaming says Ageless, of taking her to a tropical island.

I was dreaming says Gaius, of Reverend Griffith Hughes.

I know him, says Ageless. He frequents the State Library.

You don't say, says Gaius.

It's the stuff dreams are made of.



No comments: