Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Wayzgoose and Means

The others have begun the climb up from the waterfall.

Ageless is still at the bottom.

No way he can ever climb up again.

He hauls himself to the pool at the base of the waterfall.

He stares morosely at his reflection in the water.

What a loser.

LOSER! That does it, says Ageless. I'm not having this version.

Are you not? says Kobo. Then tell us what happens.

I enter the AREA, says Ageless.

Area? says Kobo. What area? Oh, the Japanese area?

The very area, says Ageless. Fearless I am. The Japanese couple eye me with a series of easily interpreted reactions.

Which are? says Kobo, not letting on how much she admires the last sentence.

Which are, says Ageless, surprise, xenophobia, recognition, hunger, delight, greed and deception.

In other words, says Kobo. They nab you.

They glance around furtively, says Ageless. Then they nab me. It's risky. They want me for their dinner. But I want a lift to the car park.

Well done, says Kobo. You've arrived just in time for our game of cricket.

I don't play cricket, says Ageless. I have not yet escaped from the bag of the Japanese couple.

Then you'd better hurry, says Kobo. You're bowling.

No, here I go, says Ageless. Into the tour bus, still in the basket.

Bag, says Kobo. Well good luck escaping. If you manage it, we'll be in the Wayzgoose Cafe enjoying Flower Pot scones and milkshakes.

O goody, says Lavender.

Howzat! says Rabbie, who has just been bowled out by Butterfly.

The family bowl four more overs, and head off in the car to the Wayzgoose. The fog has now lifted.

The Wayzgoose is slowly being eaten by termites. Apart from that it's the coolest café.

Coffee, milkshakes and two giant Flower Pot scones are brought to the table.

Now this is my version, says Lavender.

Hm? says Kobo.

I eat a scone, whispers Lavender. With cream and jam on it......

Impossible, says Kobo. You don't have the means to ingest it.


No comments: