Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Crime's Arrow

Chateaubriand! says Victor. He's well known round here. He wrote that...um...what was it... the Genius of Something.

The Genius of Christianity, says Belle. I don't know what Arthur sees in him.

He seems intelligent, says Gaius.

Humph! says Belle. "Christianity comes from God because it is excellent". Is that intelligent?

Sounds logical to me, says Victor.

So, Victor, says Gaius. What are you doing in Saint Malo?

Secondment, says Victor. I'm on surveillance duty. That's why this torch.

Can I hold it? asks Terence.

No, it's a police torch, says Victor. You've got a pencil.

I lost it, says Terence.

You lost the red one! says Splosh.

You can have my black one, says Baldy. I don't want it.

Terence takes it.

Now I'm in the clear, says Terence. I didn't draw the red moustache on Rock-Arthur.

Crimes don't work like that, says Victor.

How do they? asks Terence.

Victor explains:

An infant does a crime with a weapon. He loses the weapon. The weapon is found. It has his finger prints on it. Therefore he did the crime.

That's a bit simplistic, says Splosh. What if he didn't?

I didn't, says Terence.

Except we all saw you, says Belle.

It doesn't matter, says Victor. I'm assured the moustache will wash off. May I ask what your future plans are?

We need to find a quiet secluded beach which is frequented by seabirds, says Gaius. Preferably not seagulls.

I know plenty of seagulls, says Victor. Each morning they eat my croissant crumbs. If you want other types of seabirds, try along the Rance estuary.

Wonderful, says Gaius. Thank you Victor. Ah, here we are. Here's our hotel.

Victor lets them out of the police wagon, and drives back to the station to file his report.

From which it seems they are under surveillance.


No comments: