Thursday, August 17, 2017

The Second Question

Why are you the leader? asks Baldy.

What does this say? asks Terence.

He points at his tummy.

BEWARE, says Baldy.

And what does yours say? asks Terence.

THE RISING, says Baldy.

No, says Terence. That's on your back. Your tummy is just painted feathers.

RISING is better, says Baldy.

RISING is what happens after, says Terence. BEWARE is a warning. So I go first, and you come second.

Belle intervenes at this juncture.

THE RISING is already happening, says Belle. That's why we're here, to warn the oystercatchers about it. Time to stop bickering.

And act, agrees Gaius. Not with painted slogans, but with cheeses, or like objects.

Yes, says Belle. Terence and I will go shopping. You wait here Gaius, with Baldy. I don't want Arthur escaping.

Good point, says Gaius. None of us want Arthur escaping. But just in case, will you purchase a pencil?

I'll purchase a whole box of pencils, says Belle. And a sharpener. Come, Terence.

Why do I have to....? asks Terence.

People will see BEWARE on your tummy, says Belle, and they'll start asking questions.

What will be the answer? asks Terence.

ME, says Baldy. I'll be here. I'll be the answer.

To the first question, says Gaius. The second question, I shall answer.

Good, says Belle. See you later.

She goes up the stone steps, followed by Terence, who tries to push past her, because the message is on his tummy.

Baldy makes marks in the sand with his foot.

Gaius keeps a look out for Arthur.

Someone approaches from the east. Not Arthur.

It's Splosh.

Gaius! says Splosh. I've made huge strides in raising awareness. What about you?

Not so much, says Gaius. There seems to be an overabundance of seagulls.

Nonsense, says Splosh. I've seen oodles of birds. I've seen gannets, shags and peregrine falcons. I've spotted whimbrels, oystercatchers, northern lapwings, even a hobby, also a few meadow pipits, stonechats, wrens, linnets, kestrels, buzzards, skylarks, woodlarks, common cuckoos and melodious warblers.....

Where? asks Gaius.

In the sky, says Baldy.

Oh, hello Baldy, says Splosh. Where's Terence? Are you the leader today?

Yes! says Baldy. I'm the leader. Terence is just buying a pencil.


No comments: