Thursday, August 31, 2017

Saints Practise Their Tricks

On the way out, Belle drops by the kitchen.

It's a hotel after all.

May I borrow a knife please? she asks a kitchen hand.

Certainly, says the kitchen hand. What is it for?

I hardly like to tell you, says Belle. It's for... um....preparing some eels.

Are they live ones? asks the kitchen hand. Because if so, the best method is to hang them from a hook through the gills and peel their skin off. Then chop them into bite size pieces and drop them in boiling water to blanch them. Would you like me to do it?

Oh, would you? asks Belle.

Sure, says the kitchen hand. Bring them here.

She goes out to the pavement where Gaius is waiting with Terence and Baldy, two bicycles, and Saints Roley and Malo.

He is holding a writhing paper package.

Give me those eels, says Belle The kitchen hand's offered to prepare them.

How kind, says Gaius. I was beginning to wonder how we would cook them.

Can we come and watch? asks Terence.

No, says Belle. It might be horrific.

She takes the writhing package from Gaius, and goes back inside.

I suppose we must wait here, says Gaius. Get the Saints out and let them practice their tricks.

They don't have tricks, says Baldy. They can't even walk properly yet.

Then they must be fast-tracked says Gaius. I expect them to be fully competent at scrape building by the time we reach Cancale.

Baldy lifts Saint Malo out of the shoe, and places him on the pavement.

Dig, says Baldy.

Not in the pavement, says Gaius.

Saint Malo looks confused.

An old fisherman passing by stops.

He is wearing a fisherman's jersey and a knitted hat which is round and wide at the crown.

It buzzes slightly.

Bless you, says the fishermen.

No need for that, says Gaius. We are waiting for our eels to be cooked, that is all.

I bless everyone, says the fisherman.

What about me? asks Terence.

Bless you, says the fisherman.

What about the eels? asks Terence.  They were alive, wrapped in paper.

Bless them, says the fisherman.

Trying to get out, says Baldy. They didn't want to die.

 I regret buying live ones, says Gaius.

However, they are best eaten fresh, says the fisherman. My name is Maclou, by the way.

Gaius Plinius Secundus, says Gaius. And these young scallywags are....

I know, says Maclou. Infants away from their holy mothers. Bless them.

Belle comes out with the cooked eel chunks in a still warm glass jar.

This is Belle, says Gaius. Belle, this is Maclou.

Bless you, my dear, says Maclou. Did you remember the knife?

Crikey! says Belle. For the melon! Thanks for reminding me.

She runs back inside, and comes back with a knife for the melon.

Now we're good to go, says Belle. Nice to meet you, Maclou.

Maclou touches his knitted hat. It buzzes loudly.

Saint Malo jumps. Baldy puts him back in the shoe.

If I find a nice comfy box, says Maclou. I'll follow you with it.

He shuffles off, buzzing, and emitting small sparks.

Weird! says Belle How did he know about the knife? Did you tell him?

I don't think so, says Gaius.

And the box, says Belle.

Easier to explain, says Gaius. Two baby chicks in an old shoe is not ideal for their development.

Saint Roley and Saint Malo look at one another.

Not ideal for their development.

They KNEW it!

No comments: