Sunday, August 27, 2017

Why Are You Here?

Hotel Kyriad.

Terence plonks the ruined eggs on the coffee table.

Careful, says Belle. They need somewhere warmer.

Why? asks Terence.

Because they might hatch, says Belle.

But they're RUINED! says Terence.

Only on the outside, says Belle.

She takes Baldy's panda long johns from where they were drying, makes a nest and places the ruined eggs tenderly in it.

Is that wise, Belle? asks Gaius.

I can always wash them, says Belle.

I didn't mean that, says Gaius. Is it wise to incubate them? We're about to go....

There is a noise outside the door of the hotel room, the door opens and Baldy runs in.

I didn't do anything! shouts Baldy.

Where's Splosh? asks Belle.

Nowhere! says Baldy. I lost my pencil. Victor picked it up. Then I got arrested for nothing!

Look, Baldy! says Terence, pointing at the ruined eggs in the nest of panda long johns.

Who put eggs in my new pants? says Baldy.

Wait, says Gaius You were arrested? Then why are you here?

Arthur helped me, says Baldy. He told Victor I didn't do it.

Arthur is standing in the doorway.

Good for you Arthur, says Belle. What was Baldy accused of?

Graffiti in the Grand Aquarium, says Arthur. Someone turned the lights off, and sprayed yellow rings on the glass of the Shark Ring.

Not me, says Baldy. I had a green pencil.

You didn't, says Arthur. Victor had it. And he'd written his notes with it, including the time, 10 am.

Why did he show you his notes? asks Belle.

Long story, says Arthur.

Expectant silence. A faint scratching is heard.

Okay, says Arthur. The short version is, we were exchanging addresses.

But he knows where we're staying, says Belle.

Not this address, says Arthur. And he was using the green pencil. So I said how could Baldy have used it if you've had it in your possession since 10 am?

Crack. Peep peep. Crack.

What did he say? asks Belle.

Intention, says Arthur. He said these days you can arrest someone for having an intention. But don't worry, it's sorted.

Good, says Gaius. We're about to set out for the bird reserve near Cancale, on the GR34. I trust you'll be coming?

Sure, but I might catch you up, says Arthur, backing out slowly.

Look! says Baldy. The eggs have split open and now what!

Aah! says Belle. How gorgeous!

Two baby oystercatchers are unfolding their feathers on the long johns.

Two parrots! cries Terence. It's the first time I've had two parrots!

That's not FAIR! says Baldy.

I rescued them! says Terence.

I hatched them! says Baldy.

We can resolve this, says Belle.

No comments: