Monday, August 28, 2017

Loneliness

Belle resolves it, quite easily.

One parrot each.

But you mustn't call them parrots, says Belle.

Why not? asks Terence.

They'll be confused enough as it is, says Belle. Who did they see first?

Me, says Baldy. My one saw me.

Baldy bends down to the beady eye of his baby.

It's crying! says Baldy. Don't cry baby, you're coming on an adventure.

That's the way, says Gaius. Encourage it. An adventure.

Not just an adventure, says Belle. They'll need feeding, and keeping warm, and they'll need to be taught oystercatcher behaviour.

Yes, says Gaius. Sensible oystercatcher behaviour. Beginning with coming to terms with rising sea levels.

Hear that? says Terence to his bedraggled baby.

The baby sniffs hard.

He knows one thing. He has got the wrong mother.

......

Arthur heads for number 1 Rue de l'Orme.

He enters L'Absinthe Café.

Victor is already there, sitting at a table with François-René, looking awkward.

You're late, says Victor. I had to introduce myself to Monsieur de Chateaubriand here.

That shouldn't have been hard, says Arthur.

But not ideal, says Victor, seeing as I'm dressed as a policeman.

François-René shrugs, as though he had not been alarmed in the slightest.

Arthur sits down.

Well then, says Victor. This is nice.

Victor wants to recruit us, says François-René.

Did I say that? asks Victor.

You didn't have to, says François-René.

No, says Victor. I wanted to meet you, that's all. Learn more about you. I'm new here in Saint Malo. I believe you were born here?

I was, says François-René, the youngest of ten children. I grew up in the family castle in Comburg. My father was a sea captain, and later a ship owner.

Slave trader, eh? says Victor.

Well, yes, says François-René. It was a long time ago.

Still goes on, says Victor. Shall we order?

I'll have absinthe, says Arthur.

I mean food, says Victor, looking at the menu. I'll have the fig and beetroot confit on a crisp fine tart with fresh mackerel fillets.

François-René chooses rose veal. Arthur orders the turbot.

They eat, and drink a great deal of absinthe.

François-René reveals more of himself than he meant to.

How his father was morose and uncommunicative.
How he grew up lonely.
How he went for long walks in the Breton countryside.
How well he came to know it.
How one day he took a hunting rifle.
And bang. Tried to kill himself.
But was unsuccessful.
How he decided against becoming a priest.
And chose the military option.

Victor has been making wobbly notes, under the table, with the green pencil.

Arthur has watched him.

No comments: