Friday, August 18, 2017

Promise Of Monsters

Belle returns to the beach at Saint Malo, with Terence.

Terence is holding a pencil.

No prizes for guessing the colour of the pencil.

Here you are, Gaius, says Belle. A box of Caran d'Ache pencils, with the red missing.

I don't generally use coloured ones, says Gaius. Lead is sufficient for my purpose.

I know, says Belle, but there is a grey one.

Very well, says Gaius. Thank you, Belle. I shall use the grey one.

Let's see, says Splosh. Hey! These are Prismalo. I love these!

I know, says Belle. Watercolour pencils. We can all use them.

Except this one, says Terence.

Not fair, says Baldy. He got the red one!

It's broken, says Terence.

Yes, says Belle. It's broken. And why?

I broke it, says Terence.

Never mind, says Belle. I have a sharpener.

Excellent! says Gaius. You have thought of everything. Did you buy cheeses?

I bought two Babybel cheeses, says Belle. But I really don't see how they'll trick oystercatchers. Don't they lay cryptic eggs?

Indeed they do, says Gaius.

Exactly, says Belle. Not bright red ones.

That's the TRICK! says Baldy.

What IS your plan? asks Splosh.

It's forming, says Gaius. Now, perhaps you'd like to lead us to where you spotted the oystercatchers.

Okay, says Splosh. It was near the Sculptured Rocks where I've just been working.

Oh, Splosh! says Belle. Did you encounter any trouble?

None, says Splosh. My stuff's pretty classy. Most of the sculptures look.....better.

I can't wait to see them, says Belle. But it's dark. Perhaps we should wait until morning.

No, let's go NOW, says Terence. No, wait. First sharpen my pencil.

Give it to me, says Belle.

She sharpens the red pencil, and gives it back to Terence.

What can I have? asks Baldy.

Choose, says Belle.

 Baldy chooses a black one.

Terence is jealous.

All right, says Belle. It doesn't look like Arthur is coming. We'll go to the Sculptured Rocks now. Do we need a torch?

No, says Splosh. There's enough moonlight. And the sculptures are brighter than they were.

What are they? asks Belle.

Bizarre shapes, faces and figures, says Splosh. Inspired by local tales of pirates and smugglers, and monsters.

Monsters!

Terence looks at Baldy, eyeing the black pencil. Want to swap pencils?

Baldy looks at Terence. No way!

No comments: