Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Astonished Possums

How do we get in? asks Sweezus.

Over the gate, using the ladder, says Arthur. 

Yeah, says Sweezus. Good thinking.

They cycle along in the dark, the ladder between them.

This is like social distancing, says Sweezus.

Not really, says Arthur. 

How come? asks Sweezus.

The ladder, says Arthur.

Yeah but it's keeping us at the right distance, says Sweezus.

You're an idiot, says Arthur. Sure you want to do this? 

Yep, says Sweezus. I have to. It was part of my agreement with the boss. He takes my place in the quarantine hotel, I get him a story.

A rescue story? says Arthur.

It doesn't have to be, says Sweezus. But it has to feature two minor philosophers. And bikes.

Bikes we've got, says Arthur. Who are the minor philosophers?

Dunno yet, says Sweezus.

Kierkegaard might be still here, says Arthur. He was staying at a motel with Angelina.

Cool, says Sweezus, I'll look him up later. 

A bicycle comes up behind them.

A policeman is on it.

Victor!

Hello-ello-ello, says Victor. What's this ladder?

Social distance keeper, says Sweezus.

Very funny, says Victor. You know why I'm here?

The Ear kidnapping, says Sweezus. You said you'd look into it.

Correct, says Victor. But why are YOU here? Aren't you supposed to be in hotel quarantine?

It's over, says Sweezus.

And now you're out here on the road to Finders Chase in the dark with a ladder, says Victor.

Is there a law against it? asks Sweezus.

Not at present, says Victor. And I see you have lights. That's commendable.

You don't, says Sweezus.

I do, says Victor. I turned my light off as I came up behind you.  Didn't want you to scarper.

Why would we? asks Arthur.

Guilty conscience, says Victor. I bet you're going to the lighthouse to check on the Ears. And that constitutes trespass. Whereas I have a warrant.

Sweezus and Arthur remain silent, in case anything they say might be used against them.

Victor goes on.

But I don't have a ladder, for obvious reasons.

The silence continues.

So I'm prepared to overlook the misdemeanour, if you lend me the ladder.

Done, says Sweezus.

Done.

So the three of them continue cycling towards the entrance of Flinders Chase National Park, with the ladder held up in three places.

Several brush-tailed possums are astonished.


No comments: