Monday, November 30, 2020

Perhaps It's A Chemist

Are we WALKING? asks Terence.

It's not far, says Arthur.

Better not be, says Terence. Or you'd have to carry me. 

You don't have to come, says Arthur.

But I want a compass, says Terence. And you might forget.

Do you know what a compass is? asks Arthur.

Yes, says Terence. It was in one of the stories.

Baby-Glossy is not here to tell Arthur it wasn't.

What is it then? asks Arthur.

What if you were a swan? says Terence.

I wouldn't need one, says Arthur.

That's right, says Terence.

They are passing the tennis courts. It's hot already. No one is playing tennis.

After the tennis courts, a row of shops. The one on the end is the chemist.

The chemist is shut. They look through the window.

There is someone inside.

Perhaps it's a chemist. The door opens.

Not open yet, says the chemist. Oh! What happened to you?

Sharks, says Arthur. I need a new bandage.

Come in, says the chemist. Sit down.

And a thermometer, says Arthur.

Oops! says the chemist. A thermometer. What for?

A replacement, says Arthur. But first I need a waterproof bandage, so I can go surfing.

That's very sensible, says the chemist. Blood attracts sharks.

I know, says Arthur. 

Have you got a compass? asks Terence.

No, I don't, says the chemist. But I do have a thermometer. Just wait while I find a waterproof bandage.

The chemist goes behind the counter, and rummages through a box of wrapped bandages.

Comes back with a wrapped bandage.

Thanks, says Arthur, shoving it into his pocket.

Would you like me to get you some ointment? asks the chemist.

Here's some! says Terence. He picks a red tube from a shelf.

Pawpaw ointment.

That's good stuff, says the chemist. Will you have it? 

Yes, says Arthur. Now can I see your thermometers?

Sure, says the chemist. Digital? Non contact?

Let's see them all, says Arthur.

The chemist brings out a selection of thermometers.

NOW! says Terence. Let's look for a COMPASS!

We won't find one, says the chemist. But you can look round the shop if you like.

Yay! says Terence. Come with me. I don't know what one looks like.

They are usually round, says the chemist. With a north pointing pointer.

Terence and the chemist walk up and down the aisles, looking for something round with a north pointing pointer.

Arthur looks though the selection of thermometers.

One (small, digital) is about to go missing. 


No comments: