Monday, November 16, 2020

Don't Worry Ears

Don't worry, Ears, says Captain du Couedic. There must be a limit to shrinkage.

The Ears brighten.

Maybe you could put them in water, suggests Captain Baudin.

The Ears look apprehensive.

Sweezus and Arthur have eaten all the French pastries.

Are those anchovies? asks Sweezus, pointing at the plate.

Yes, says Saint Roley. Intended for me. But you're welcome to try them.

Nah, says Sweezus, just thinking, they might be good in the sushi.

In the tapenade, says Arthur. With the olives and capers and chocolate.

What is this? cries Captain du Couedic.

A project we're doing, says Sweezus. 

He explains the arrangement with Great White Teacher, the seaweed, and the chocolate tapenade.

I've heard that anchovies add flavour to almost anything, says Captain Baudin.

Really? says Captain du Couedic. 

A meat stew for example, or a tomato sauce, or a diced orange and red pepper salad, says Captain Baudin.

But chocolate? asks Captain du Couedic.

It's not unthinkable, says Captain Baudin. One must embrace life! Turn up the music!

Captain du Couedic turns up the music.

The 1812 Overture. 

That's loud, says Victor.

You a philosopher? asks Sweezus.

No, says Victor. Although, at times, I indulge....

I meant Baudin, says Sweezus. I need a second one.

I am of a philosophical nature, says Captain Baudin. What do you need two for?

A rash promise, says Sweezus. My boss and me changed places. I was in quarantine...

What! cries Captain du Couedic. You are supposed to be in quarantine? Get out of my lighthouse!

Calm down du Couedic, says Baudin. Take his temperature, before you erupt in a panic.

Du Couedic scurries away to the bathroom, to find a thermometer.

Two philosophers, says Baudin. Who is the other one?

Kierkegaard, says Sweezus.

Count me in, says Baudin. 

Du Couedic returns with a thermometer, and a dish of cold water.

The Ears freeze. Is the water for them?


No comments: