Saturday, February 3, 2024

Bon-doo!

 I have to say it, says Hedley.

Hedley’s practicing his lines, explains Belle.

But Good God sir, coming from the mouth of a child? says Hedley’s mother.

What’s the problem? asks Iris.

Oh, hello again, says Hedley’s mother. I’ve now worked out who you are.

Iris Murdoch, says Iris.

I know, says Hedley’s mother. I’ve read all your novels.

Which was your favourite? asks Iris.

‘The Sea The Sea’ says Hedley’s mother.

I won a prize for that one, says Iris Murdoch.

Deservedly, says Hedley’s mother. I didn’t know you acted.

I’m doing Vello a favour, says Iris.

Do him another one, says Hedley’s mother. Persuade him to change Hedley’s lines.

I love my lines, says Hedley. And Good God sir’s my favourite.

It's just not on, says Hedley's mother.

What if he says it in French? asks Iris. Bon Dieu, monsieur!

Bon-doo monsieur! says Hedley.

That's better, says Hedley's mother.

Ha ha, laughs Terence. 

Oh, there you are. Terence, says Hedley’s mother.  What’s that you’ve got there?

Greedy, says Terence.

Oh yes, the plump hand, says Hedley’s mother. Why is there a face on it?

It’s a character, says Terence.

Bon-doo! says Greedy.

From his drawn-on mouth, some rubbery air rushes out.


No comments: