Thursday, September 12, 2024

Luck Before Flying

It has gone really well.

The tinker has zoomed through the security check point without being spotted.

She heads for the departure lounge.

Ben O'Connor's not there yet. 

He has been called aside.

Not because Baby Pierre is in his pocket, but because of the empty box he is carrying.

Why the empty box? asks the security guard.

A friend gave it to me, says Ben O'Connor. It's empty.

It may appear to be empty, says the security guard. But we'll need to test it for hidden compartments.

I'll miss my flight, says Ben O'Connor.

If there was something in it, it would be different, says the security guard

Okay, says Ben O'Connor. I'll put something in it.

He takes Baby Pierre out of his pocket.

Baby Pierre is no fool. He knows how to look like a pebble.

It isn't that hard.

He folds his skinny legs under his body and keeps his mouth shut.

So this box is for a pebble, says the security guard. Why wasn't it inside?

It's my lucky pebble says Ben O'Connor, thinking quickly. I like to hold it in the palm of my hand before flying.

I get that, says the security guard. Okay, go through. And have have a good day.

Ben O'Connor proceeds to the departure lounge, where the tinker is waiting.

What took you so long? asks the tinker.

Ask Baby Pierre , says Ben O'Connor. I'm going to the toilet.

He puts the empty box under the seat, with Baby Pierre in it.

He goes off to the toilet.

The tinker hops into the box.

What happened? asks the tinker.

Where's my bicycle? asks Baby Pierre.

Leaning against the box, says the tinker. Don't worry. Tell me what happened.

I had to pretend to be his lucky pebble, says Baby Pierre.

How embarrassing, says the tinker.

I didn't care, says Baby Pierre. And I nailed it.

Being a lucky pebble? asks the tinker. 

Yes, says Baby Pierre. You'll see. Ben O'Connor will be lucky all the way back to Adelaide.

Here he comes now. Back from the toilet.

Just as boarding is about to commence.

Lucky. 

We'll see.


No comments: