Monday, September 9, 2024

Don't Split It

Now, says Pablo, I have to send you guys home.

Send? says the tinker.

I must return to Chile, says Pablo. 

We could come with you, says the tinker.

Not me, says Baby Pierre.

It would be best if you travelled together, says Pablo.

Yes, says the tinker. 

Okay, says Baby Pierre. We'll make our own way back to Australia.

I don't think so, says Pablo. I promised Arthur. Wait. I'll see if he's still in Paris.

He calls Arthur.

Arthur's phone rings for ages.

Until...

What? asks Arthur.

Where are you? asks Pablo.

In bed, says Arthur. 

The Vuelta's over, says Pablo. 

I know, says Arthur. How'd you go?

Middling, says Pablo.

And you called to tell me, says Arthur.

No, says Pablo. I called because I'm not sure how best to send your frog home.

What frog? asks Arthur. 

The Kroombit tinker, says Pablo. She's here with Baby Pierre. Are you still in France?

No, says Arthur. I'm back in Adelaide. 

Sleeping, says Pablo.

I was, says Arthur.

Sorry, says Pablo. What shall I do?

Arthur thinks.

Send them back with one of the Aussie riders, says Arthur.

Brilliant, says Pablo. I'll ask Ben O'Connor.

How'd he go? asks Arthur.

Great, says Pablo. He came second. He wore the red jersey for thirteen days.

He'll be in a good mood then, says Arthur.

And he owes me a poem, says Pablo. 

You ran a poetry competition? asks Arthur.

As always, says Pablo. The Kroombit tinker won this time, with O Hay!

Arthur sniggers.

Put her on, says Arthur.

Hello Arthur, says the tinker. I won the poetry competition. 

Good for you, says Arthur. 

And I won half a gold coin, says the tinker.

Who won the other half? asks Arthur.

Baby Pierre, says the tinker. We haven't got it yet. Pablo hasn't figured out how to split it.

Don't split it, says Arthur. It won't be worth anything.

Oh, says the tinker.

Bring it home with you, says Arthur. I'll fix it.

Okay, says the tinker. 

You'll be flying home with Ben O'Connor, says Arthur. 

Yikes, says the tinker. What if...?

But Arthur has pressed the red button and gone back to sleep.


No comments: