Saturday, September 28, 2024

Rubbing Out Meteors

Rosa lifts the lid of the see-through container.

How's the story going? asks Rosa.

Good, says Baby Pierre. 

Is it finished? asks Rosa.

No way, says Baby Pierre. I'm up to the part where my cousin Ouvert tells his story.

But he's stuck, says the Kroombit tinker.

Why don't you help him? asks Rosa.

I don't know Ouvert, says the tinker.

It it a true story? asks Rosa.

No, says the tinker. None of it happened.

It's still hard, says Baby Pierre. I have to explain why my cousin would be riding a bike across the Nullabor. 

Ouvert should do that, says the tinker.

Same thing, says Baby Pierre.

I can think of a reason, says Rosa.

What is it? asks Baby Pierre.

He's looking for rock specimans, says Rosa. Because he's a rock expert.

He isn't a rock expert, says Baby Pierre. 

I thought you were making it up? says Rosa.

Yes, says the tinker. The imaginary Ouvert could be an expert in rocks.

Okay, says Baby Pierre. I'll try it.

He writes (very small):

You probably didn't know I'm an expert in rocks, says my cousin Ouvert, and I say no I didn't, I always thought you were slow-witted. That's where you're wrong, says Ouvert, I'm looking for meteors. Have you found any? I ask but he admits that he hasn't.

Rosa has pretty good eyesight. She reads what Baby Pierre has written.

He's probably looking for meteorites, not meteors, says Rosa.

How would you know? asks Baby Pierre.

Is he looking up at the sky or down at the ground? asks Rosa. Meteors are like fireballs and meteorites are like rocks, and he's a rock expert so he'll be looking for meteorites.

Okay, says Baby Pierre. Do you have a rubber?


No comments: