Sunday, September 22, 2024

Box Ticking

The Trafficked Animals officer calls security.

Where's that trafficked frog at the moment? asks the Trafficked Animals officer.

In the observation room, says the security person who answered the phone.

Keep it there, says the Trafficked Animals Officer. I'm coming right over.

Okay, says the security person.

The Kroombit tinker is in the observation room on a table.

An animal welfare officer is googling endangered frogs.

I'm a Kroombit tinker, says the tinker. Why won't you believe me?

It's not that I don't believe you, says the officer. But if you're on the list of endangered frogs, I need to tick this.

He shows the tinker the box that needs ticking.

Okay, says the tinker. Then what?

We contact the authorities in your country, says the animal welfare officer.

What a lot of bother, says the Kroombit tinker. Can't you just send me home?

At this point the Trafficked Animals officer enters the observation room.

Hold everything! says the Trafficked Animals officer.

I'm just checking the endangered frog list, says the welfare officer.

No need, says the Trafficked Animals officer. This frog has been cleared.

Just like that? asks the welfare officer.

Ever heard of Gaius Plinius Secundus? asks the Trafficked Animals officer.

Of course, says the welfare officer. The famous natural historian.

It's his frog, says the Trafficked Animals officer. So we're sending it home. 

I was on my way home, when you stopped me, says the tinker.

To the wrong destination, says the Trafficked Animals officer. You're now booked onto the next flight to Adelaide.

Hoorah! says the tinker,. 

The Trafficked Animals officer picks her up and drops her into a lidded container.

Wait! cries the tinker.

Luckily, the officer has not put the lid on.

Can Baby Pierre come with me? asks the tinker.

Isn't he a just a pebble? asks the Trafficked Animals officer. 

He's my friend, says the tinker.

I'll see what I can do, says the Trafficked Animals officer.

He checks a few schedules.

The flight to Perth hasn't left yet.

Ben O'Connor is about to board his flight to Perth, with Baby Pierre, who is unhappy with that destination.

I'll have to ride my bike all the way across the Nullarbor, grumbles Baby Pierre.

The joys of the open road, says Ben O'Connor.

It's all right for you, says Baby Pierre.

The boarding queue moves forward.....

Suddenly there is an announcement from the boarding lounge desk.

Would Mr Ben O'Connor please come to the desk immediately!

Shit! Now what? says Ben O'Connor.


No comments: