Thursday, September 26, 2024

He Always Writes Small

Baby Pierre has to admit that the pencil did not put his eye out.

The see-through lid opens again.

Here's some paper, says Rosa. 

Thank you, says the Kroombit tinker. 

What do you want it for? asks Rosa.

Baby Pierre wants it, says the tinker.

Is that the name of the pebble? asks Rosa.

Yes, says Baby Pierre. And before you get any ideas, I'm not a baby.

I know rocks are old, says Rosa. What are you going to do with the paper?

It was Kroomy's idea, says Baby Pierre.

To be fair, says the tinker. Because I was given dead flies.

Are they your dinner? asks Rosa.

Yes, says the tinker. And Baby Pierre wanted something, but he doesn't eat dinner.

Of course not, says Rosa. Is he going to draw pictures?

There's nothing to draw, says Baby Pierre. 

I could take you out of the container, says Rosa.

That's unfair to me, says the tinker.

Don't worry, says Baby Pierre. I'm not drawing pictures. I'm going to write something.

Like a story? asks Rosa.

Yes, like a story, says Baby Pierre. It'll be the story of me riding my bicycle from Perth to Adelaide across the Nullarbor, which is what I'm supposed to be doing.

You're GLAD you're not doing it, says the tinker.

If I was, why would I want to write the story? says Baby Pierre.

He must have wanted to, says Rosa. But it's a really long way.

That's the point of the story, says Baby Pierre.

Do you want an extra piece of paper? asks Rosa.

No, I always write small, says Baby Pierre. Now close the lid and let me get started.

Okay, says Rosa. Can I read it when it's finished?

Sure, says Baby Pierre.

Rosa shuts the lid of the see-through container.

Right! says Baby Pierre. Now I just have to think how to start it.

Sometimes it's good to start in the middle, says the tinker.

The middle of the Nullarbor? says Baby Pierre. How would that work?

You're riding along, and you meet another pebble, says the tinker. And you tell the other pebble your story. And the other pebble tells you his. And so on. 

Baby Pierre is silent, thinking.

He had planned to do the ride on his own. But what if he met another pebble....?


No comments: