Friday, September 20, 2024

Trafficked!

Arthur calls Gaius.

Arthur! says Gaius. What news?

Good news and bad news, says Arthur.

Give me the good news, says Gaius.

It's the same as the bad news, says Arthur.

How can that be? asks Gaius.

It depends how you look at it, says Arthur.

I assume this is news of the Kroombit tinker, says Gaius.

Yes, says Arthur. She's been detained at Changi airport

And this bad news is good news because...? says Gaius.

Because, says Arthur, Ben O'Connor was going to Perth.

Gaius digests this information.

Aha! says Gaius. So it's  lucky the tinker's journey has been broken. We can get her diverted to Adelaide. Or even the Gold Coast.

That's what I thought, says Arthur. You just need to call them.

But you're better at that sort of thing, says Gaius.

I don't have the gravitas, says Arthur. Or the global reputation.

Gaius can't help feeling pleased.

All right, says Gaius. I'll call Changi customs and explain why the tinker must be flown on to... shall we say Adelaide?

Then you've still got the problem of getting her back to Kroombit Tops, says Arthur. 

So you recommend the Gold Coast, says Gaius.

Someone could meet her, says Arthur. 

Such as ? says Gaius. Not you I hope. We have to....

First things first, says Arthur. Make the phone call.

Right you are, says Gaius. Thank you, Arthur.

He calls Changi.

And gets put through to Customer Service. 

Who put him through to Security.

Eventually.

How may I help you? asks the officer on duty.

I'm Gaius Plinius Secundus, says Gaius. I believe you're detaining my frog. 

What kind of frog is it? asks the officer.

An endangered Kroombit tinker, says Gaius. It is imperative that...

Endangered? says the officer. I'll have to transfer you to Trafficked Animals.

What, no! says Gaius.

But too late. Curses!

He is being transferred.

 

No comments: