Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Cap Fits

What happens next? said Margaret. We go on philosophising, that's all.

I like the way you skirted the tomato issue, said Gaius.

No need to embarrass ourselves, said Margaret. A Stoic should be free of all extraneous emotions.

Not embarassment, said Gaius. A Stoic ought to put up with embarrassment.

Do you want the tomato in, or not? asked Margaret.

I shall think about it, said Gaius. Go on, Margaret.

Margaret coughed theatrically, and continued......

The dear friend, injured by the worm through no fault of her own, possibly bleeding...

But you weren't bleeding, said Gaius.

I said possibly bleeding, said Margaret. Possibly bleeding, the friend is overcome by a strange feeling of worminess. She speaks and her voice comes out in long vowels, she utters interesting information about the structure of the jaws of worms, information she could not possibly have known before the incident.....

I begin to wonder, Margaret, said Gaius.

About the channelling? asked Margaret. I wasn't pretending, you know.

No, about the kind of philosophy you are leading us into, said Gaius, I think you should stick to Stoicism.

I intend to, said Margaret. She cleared her throat again.....

And yet the friend, who is a true Stoic, is happy. Happy in her injury, which accords with the natural world.

That is good, Margaret. said Gaius. For you. It makes you seem the perfect Stoic. As for me, I come out looking like a fatuous sandwich filling dropper and fortunate avoider of bites.

If the cap fits, said Margaret.

No comments: