Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Peculiar Colour

Next morning, everyone was grumpy. Le Bon David and The Velodrone accused one another of snoring and hogging the bed. Gaius's single mattress had mysteriously moved off its base. As for Marie, Belle et Bonne and Margaret, they had not appreciated being woken at dawn by screeching birds.

Someone was feeding them! said Marie. Who would do that at this hour?

But nobody knew.

Well, said The VeloDrone, what are we doing today?

I thought we might go to the Island, said Marie. We could visit the Mouth.

Oh yes, said Belle et Bonne. The Coorong. It's so lovely there. The sandhills, the river, the waves crashing in the distance, and the people fishing and the four wheel drive vehicles and boats....

...and the dead crabs, said Le Bon David, remembering something he'd heard. I shall wear my new Crocs.

Me too, said The VeloDrone.

And I shall wear mine, said Gaius, pulling them on.

They had all three bought Crocs yesterday, and all chosen Lime Green.

You do all look funny, said Belle et Bonne, but I suppose they are sensible shoes.

Very sensible, said The Velodrone. I couldn't resist. They are lightweight, water friendly, easy draining and odour resistant. Perfect for the beach.

And easy to see, added Mararet. At least we won't lose you.

She looked pointedly at Gaius, who began to regret his own choice of Lime Green.

Let's go, said Marie.

.......

Half an hour later they stopped at the carpark near the sandhill trail to the Coorong National Park and Murray Mouth. Five minutes later they were all on the beach, admiring the view.

The sand looked a peculiar colour.

What's happened to the sand? asked The Velodrone.

It's muddy, said Le Bon David. See how it's stuck to my Crocs.

I don't like it, said The VeloDrone. It's stuck to my Crocs as well.

It's not usually like this, said Belle et Bonne. It's usually normal sand. It seems to be mixed up with clay.

Well, I won't walk any further, said The VeloDrone. It's ruining my Crocs. I'll sit down over there.

We'll leave if you don't like it papa, said Belle et Bonne. We'll go to the Marina instead. We can have a drink there.

Oh good, said Le Bon David. Let's do that.

For heaven's sake, said Margaret. This is the wonderful Coorong. And you fuss about shoes! My Gaius isn't worried, are you Gaius?

Gaius was thunderstruck. My Gaius? Was that what the woman had said?

No comments: