Monday, February 6, 2012

Intellectual Property

Is that it? asked Gaius.

That's it, said Margaret.

There's not much of me in it, said Gaius. I'll be doing a rewrite.

I'll help you, said Margaret.

No, you won't, said Gaius. I'll do it on my own. He sat down on a ridge of shelly sand and with a decisive stroke of his pen crossed out everything but Margaret's catchy title.

Oh, so you're keeping the title? said Margaret. You do realise it's my intellectual property?

It isn't, said Gaius. Philosophical Aspects of Worm Catching may be yours. Bicyclists Guide is mine.

It IS'NT! said Margaret.

You forgot it, said Gaius.

What do you mean I forgot it? she asked.

You left it out. You only added it when I said it needed a reference to bicycling.

They're my words in my order, she said.

Then I'll cross out the title as well, said Gaius. He crossed out the title with a flourish.

Margaret was offended. She walked away, towards the jetty.

Gaius was glad she had gone. He began to write rapidly......

PHILOSOPHICAL ASPECTS OF WORM CATCHING: A BICYCLIST'S GUIDE.

Let her lay claim to that, he muttered.

No comments: