Friday, February 3, 2012

Write This Down

Are you feeling better now, Margaret? asked Gaius.

Yes, said Margaret. But my my foot is bleeding.

Together they peered at her foot.

No, said Gaius. It isn't bleeding. That is a piece of tomato.

You should have eaten it, said Margaret. Then none of this would have happened.

Would you like me to eat it now? asked Gaius.

If that is a joke, it is in bad taste, said Margaret.

True, said Gaius. Sorry.

It's all your fault, said Margaret. If you hadn't poked tomato down the worm hole the worm wouldn't have come up and bitten me.

You don't know that, said Gaius. It might have come up anyway, because you stepped on it.

Who channelled this worm, you or me? said Margaret crossly. I know why it came up. It came up to bite whoever poked tomato down its hole. And that was you.

I have no answer to that, said Gaius. Except to say that I was lucky it bit you.

Yes you were, said Margaret. You gained valuable information without pain or effort.

Yes I did, said Gaius. I must write it down.

He rummaged in his bag for his notepad, and a pen.

I shall dictate, said Margaret.

Gaius bit his tongue.

No comments: