Friday, February 17, 2012

The Need for Crocs

Gaius and Le Bon David joined Margaret on the wooden seat, at the edge of the wharf. Yachts sped past with sails flapping, changing tack, and nearly colliding. Hindmarsh Island turned a hazy shade of yellow. A car crossed over the bridge.

Where are the others? asked Le Bon David.

They've gone to the shops, said Margaret.

I need to go to the shops, said Le Bon David. I want to buy some Crocs.

Crocs! said Margaret, approvingly. Crocs are good for wearing on holidays. Let's all go to the shops.

Not me, said Gaius. I find shopping unnatural.

Oh, said Margaret. Do you? What would you like to do?

A spot of bird-watching, said Gaius. I hear there's a bird hide round here.

I know where it is, said Margaret. It's down that way, towards the Barrages. I'll show you. David can go to the shops.

Gaius had envisaged a different scenario. He wanted to find the bird hide on his own and sit in it, quietly observing the various birds that flew, floated and nested nearby. He would make his own notes and identify them later. But if Margaret came, she would be sure to know every damn bird! By Jupiter! She wasn't going to spoil his bird-watching!

On second thoughts, I will go to the shops, he said. I need some Crocs.

No comments: