Monday, September 17, 2012

The Past Or The Future?

Dr Yates looked in his wallet.

It was just as he thought.

I don't have sixty dollars on me, he said. Only thirty. So Arthur can't go.

Arthur didn't like that.

We're going, he said. Where's the repair kit?

Oh goody, said Lavender. When?

Right now, said Arthur.

It's the middle of the night, said Marigold. Wait till morning at least.

So Arthur and Lavender waited until morning.

.......

It was Sunday morning at last. The bicycle tyre was repaired. Arthur had a bottle of water in his pocket, provided by Marigold Brick. Lavender was in the wire basket.

Arthur and Lavender set off.

Bye, Baby Pierre! Bye, Ouvert!  said Lavender as she receded.

They are so jealous, she said.

I don't think they are, said Arthur.

They can't go fossicking, said Lavender.

Neither can you, said Arthur. We don't have the money.

Then we won't pay, said Lavender.

That's true, said Arthur. Do you want to know why?

Why? asked Lavender.

Because we're not even going, said Arthur.

But we have a knife, said Lavender.

No, we don't have a knife, said Arthur. I left it with Gaius. He needs it.

Huh! said Lavender. So where are we going?

Nowhere, said Arthur. Away.

That's not fair, said Lavender. Why did you bring me?

Company, said Arthur. You were the most interesting one there.

Me? said Lavender. Why was I?

You act young, said Arthur, but you must be a million years old. What's your story?

No story, said Lavender. I'm a space in the shape of a shell.

Everyone has a story, said Arthur.

I'll tell you a story, said Lavender. It will be about you. Do you want the past or the future? I'm an augur, you know.

Did he want the past or the future? Arthur thought hard about that.

No comments: