Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Designated Fossicking Land

Arthur cycled down the road till he came to the broken windmill and tank, turned right down the gravel track, and rode till he came to a gate that led to the Designated Fossicking Land.

Here will do, said Arthur to Lavender. Get down.

He helped Lavender down.

Now what? asked Lavender.

Pick up stones, said Arthur. Put them in the bucket.

I can't do it, said Lavender. I'm too little.

You'll just have to watch me, said Arthur. If I find a zircon, I'll give it to you.

He started picking up stones, but immediately saw that they had already been picked over.

You should have brought the knife, said Lavender. Then you could dig.

A Jeep pulled up behind them.

Paul Verlaine got out.

Paul Verlaine! exclaimed Arthur. It's you! What's happened to your hair?

Lost it all, said Paul Verlaine. I blame you.

Hardly, said Arthur. You were always tearing it out.

And why was that? said Paul, his voice rising. You left me!

You shot me in the wrist, said Arthur. Remember? And my mother had to come and take me home.

You provoked it, said Paul.

Stop fighting, said Lavender.

Who is this? asked Paul Verlaine.

Lavender, said Arthur. We're fossicking. But we don't have a knife.

I have a knife, said Paul, menacingly.

Did you say that menacingly? asked Arthur derisively.

Did you say that derisively? snapped Paul.

They glared at one another.

Arthur, said Lavender. Don't you get it? He's going to lend us his knife.



No comments: